Car physics

Dec 1, 2007 at 11:01 AM
Hi! First I have to say, great job, JiggleX is the best XNA engine I saw! Now, I have one question regarding the car physics. When I'm not accelerating, the car doesn't steer well even though he is moving. I have looked at the Car.cs file but don't know what should I change to make the car steer better :( Any help??
Coordinator
Dec 1, 2007 at 11:55 AM
This is not a bug. Its physically correct behavior. Imagine you are driving your car on ice very slow. You are able to steer in the direction you want. At high speeds this is not possible.

To get more control to steering at higher speeds try to higher the wheelSideFriction when initializing the car.
Dec 1, 2007 at 12:33 PM
Well, what game does have a physically correct behavior?? :)

I've managed to make the car stable and to steer a little better, but still it's not very good :( Sometimes my car wants to flip over, sometimes it wants to do a "wheelie" on 2 wheels...
Dec 1, 2007 at 1:58 PM
Well, it looked strange for car physics, so I have downloaded Jiggle to check it out. And what surprises me is that the car physics are done better in the original Jiggle. But strange is, the code is good! Exactly the same! :|
Coordinator
Dec 1, 2007 at 2:07 PM
Okay, i will have a look at it and add it to the "Issue Tracker".

Thanks for your feedback.
Dec 1, 2007 at 3:05 PM
I saw the issue now and don't think you understood very well. The car doesn't steer well even when the velocity is small. But, when you apply the acceleration and steer, the car slides and steers more than regular. I also tried increasing the wheels steering angle but again, the steering is small...
Coordinator
Dec 1, 2007 at 4:04 PM
I fixed the bug. I will upload it in the next hour or so.
Dec 1, 2007 at 6:24 PM
Thanks! And when I see what the bug was, makes me wanna kill myself :)