This project is read-only.

Move to explicit addition and removal of primitives from system

Feb 9, 2008 at 7:18 AM
Hi,

Any chance of making the addition and removal of primitives from the system an explicit operation instead of the current implicit style (via Enabling etc).
The current system relies on a static field to maintain the "current" system that the primitives should use and thus is a pain to use in multi system (or even scarier, multi system on multiple thread) setups.
By all means provide helper methods to acheive a similar implicit operation for those who like / want that style but please don't burden the rest of us with it. :)

Regards,
Luke
Feb 9, 2008 at 7:56 AM
Edited Feb 9, 2008 at 7:56 AM
Similar deal with gravity as well. Just because something has mass shouldn't automatically mean that gravity is applicable.
If the setting of enabling of a gravitational force could be made an explicit method call rather than an implicit hidden side effect, it would appreciated. :)
Coordinator
Feb 23, 2008 at 1:11 PM
>> Similar deal with gravity as well. Just because something has mass shouldn't automatically mean that gravity is applicable.
If the setting of enabling of a gravitational force could be made an explicit method call rather than an implicit hidden side effect, it would appreciated. :)

I have to think about the advantages/disadvantages of this.... Many physic engines apply the gravity automatically and some don't do it...

>>Any chance of making the addition and removal of primitives from the system an explicit operation instead of the current implicit style (via Enabling etc).
The current system relies on a static field to maintain the "current" system that the primitives should use and thus is a pain to use in multi system (or even scarier, multi system on multiple thread) setups.
By all means provide helper methods to acheive a similar implicit operation for those who like / want that style but please don't burden the rest of us with it. :)

okay, to have one static current physic system was not the best design idea of the orig. author. I will have a look at it and change it.
Coordinator
Feb 27, 2008 at 9:53 AM
I've got a patch that will be submitted soon, that allows you to turn off gravity on a body by body basis. I switch it off on a player controlled space ship, but gravity is on everything else.