Hover Vehicle

Mar 28, 2008 at 5:04 PM
I'm trying to implement a hover vehicle, and I'm having some problems that I hope someone can help me with. In the beginning, I tried creating a carObject (from the demo) and played around with some of the damping and friction attributes, but I'm not getting the results I want.

Technically my vehicle won't have wheels, but forces on the vehicles will still be applied in the areas where the wheels would be, so I'm now trying to manipulate some of the physics code in the Wheel class to get the forces I want. I got the turning and forward and backward movements down to what I want, but I want to apply actual (y-axis) forces on the corners of the vehicles when the vehicle moves so that the vehicle will tilt and wobble up and down a bit to create that hovering effect.

One thing problem I have now is that I don't know how to offset my vehicles so that it's off the ground; right now, it is sitting on the ground.
I also want to know the difference between AddWorldForce and AddBodyForce methods in the Body class. Right now, I'm using AddWorldForce to create the movements of the vehicle as that's what I see is being used in the Wheel.AddForcesToCar. But if I want the tilting of the vehicles would I want AddBodyForce instead? I actually tried that but I'm not getting any effects from that, so I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong.

In general, do you think this a good way to implement my hover vehicle? Or maybe I'm missing something that's already in engine?

Really appreciate any feedbacks. Thanks!