This project is read-only.

Collision between two triangle meshes

Apr 5, 2008 at 10:21 PM
Edited Apr 5, 2008 at 10:25 PM
Tried colliding two triangle meshes, but no go. Searched in the forum and it seems like they aren't supposed to be moving around, nor be able to collide with each other. What's the plans/progress on this (really need it as I have pretty complex models)?

See more about it here.
http://www.codeplex.com/JigLibX/Thread/View.aspx?ThreadId=20812

Ps. I tried the JigLibX 0.01 Alpha release and the latest code from the repository (3 April).
Coordinator
Apr 6, 2008 at 1:07 AM
Tried colliding two triangle meshes, but no go. Searched in the forum and it seems like they aren't supposed to be moving around, nor be able to collide with each other. What's the plans/progress on this (really need it as I have pretty complex models)?
Triangle meshes can be moved around now (have there transform updated real-time), however this will only work against the other dynamics primitives (box, spheres etc.)

Triangle mesh to triangle mesh is very expensive and as such nobody uses it for real-time games. I doubt it will be supported in JigLibX for a long time, if ever.

Its really not something you want to be doing... Triangle meshes should be used for static or fairly static objects, any object that is dynamic should use a primitive or a collection of primitives.

There is code on the net for auto decomposing a triangle mesh into convex simplices, but nothing like that exists in JigLibX yet. Would make a great additional, but not high on my priority list tbh...
Apr 6, 2008 at 8:14 AM

Triangle mesh to triangle mesh is very expensive and as such nobody uses it for real-time games. I doubt it will be supported in JigLibX for a long time, if ever.

Its really not something you want to be doing... Triangle meshes should be used for static or fairly static objects, any object that is dynamic should use a primitive or a collection of primitives.

There is code on the net for auto decomposing a triangle mesh into convex simplices, but nothing like that exists in JigLibX yet. Would make a great additional, but not high on my priority list tbh...

I see. That makes sense, thanks for the explanation. Will think about how to make a collection of primitives match my bodies in an pretty easy way. Hopefully I can think of anything simplistic as there are quite a few models that's different to each other and rather complex as well.
Jul 9, 2008 at 10:52 PM
Edited Jul 10, 2008 at 2:14 AM
Hmm you mention triangle meshes being able to move in real time... it doesn't seem like you can rotate or change the orientation of it at all in real-time...

DeanoC wrote:
Triangle meshes can be moved around now (have there transform updated real-time), however this will only work against the other dynamics primitives (box, spheres etc.)