Controller setup

Aug 19, 2008 at 6:18 AM
I've searched through the Wiki and all forum posts, but I couldn't find any good examples of how to setup or control a player controlled character.

Ideally I'd be able to set the Velocity in the physics, but this seems to cause weird oddities with bumping into things and flying into the air.

Does anyone have a sample they could share or just some basic advice on what needs to be done to get a character moving based on player input.

Thanks in advance.

Adam Larson
Aug 20, 2008 at 1:32 AM
I'd also like to know how to do this.  From reading other things, though, it seems that the character controllers really need to be specified by the physics system itself.  I'm not sure what JigLib did for this, but I'm going to look up other open source physics systems and see what I can discover.
Aug 24, 2008 at 1:25 AM
Yeah i'm still working on this problem, if I do happen to figure it out i'll post my setup.
Sep 1, 2008 at 5:51 AM
After spending a ton of time trying to build a player that is controlled by forces, I started implementing one that uses raycast to determine movement and collision.  This seems to be working pretty good so far, but i'm worried about performance, so I'll post when i've stress tested this a bunch more.
Oct 13, 2008 at 10:22 PM
Can you share your solution? Because I need to make the player now and have no idea what to do... I was thinking about making a box and moving it but as you say, it can produce odd stuff like bumping and I don't want that to happen.