Is TriangleMesh only to be used statically?

Feb 28, 2009 at 5:47 PM
First of all, great product.  I was playing around with the TriangleMeshObject and when I try to give it mass and enable the body, I get exceptions.  I noticed that the TrangleMesh.GetMassProperties is trivially implemented so I assume that the object is only to be used statically.  So does that mean I'm limited to representing dynamic objects with Boxes, Spheres, and Capsules?  This is not a criticism, just an attempt to understand the current limitations of your system.
Coordinator
Feb 28, 2009 at 7:48 PM
Yes, the triangle mesh should be used only for static objects.

In theory it's possible to have a non-static triangle-mesh which could collide with spheres, boxes and capsules. But it was never intended to be dynamic.

Again:

Static: Plane, Heightmap, TriangleMesh
Non-Static: Box, Sphere, Capsule

Mar 1, 2009 at 12:21 AM
Thanks.  Maybe after I get my game completed, I'll take a stab at it.  I had been working on my own physics engine based on Barraff when I stumbled on JigLibX.  The boxes, spheres, and capsules will suffice for now.  I'm pleased to see that you have made this a colaborative effort and I'll be glad to contribute where I can.  With that in mind, I noticed in the Octree.BuildOctree method, the boundingBox is initialized to the rootNodeBox at the beginning instead of the end so that the TriangleMesh.GetBoundingBox always returns an infinite box.  Instead, the assignment should be at the end after rootNodeBox has been calculated.
Coordinator
Mar 1, 2009 at 1:10 PM
> With that in mind, I noticed in the Octree.BuildOctree method, the boundingBox is initialized to the rootNodeBox at the beginning instead of the end so that the TriangleMesh.GetBoundingBox always returns an infinite box.  Instead, the assignment should be at the end after rootNodeBox has been calculated.

you are right. Thanks!